Sunday

We Must Become The Change We Want To See - Gandhi

I spent this weekend taking a group of teen girls from our church to the Revolve Tour. It's this amazing conference for girls put on by Women of Faith.

At this conference, we had the opportunity of seeing a young boy named Austin Gutwein. To say that this boy blew my mind would be the understatement of the century. At 8 years old he started what became Hoops of Hope. Here is a run down by Austin from his website on how it all started:

"In the spring of 2004, I watched a video that showed children who had lost their parents to a disease called AIDS. After watching the video, I realized these kids weren’t any different from me except they were suffering. I felt God calling me to do something to help them. I decided to shoot free throws and on World AIDS Day, 2004, I shot 2,057 free throws to represent the 2,057 kids who would be orphaned during my day at school. People sponsored me and we were able to raise almost $3,000. That year, the money was used by World Vision to provide hope to 8 orphan children."

That was just his first year! Check out his website, watch the video...I promise you will fall in love with this kid as much as I have. Then help this kid out, he is going to change the world.



1 comment:

Denise said...

God bless him, and his faithful efforts.