Saturday

Be Still

Fresh snow has fallen on the ground, steam puffs out of the pipes on the roof tops, the sun is slowly rising, and my coffee is brewing.  I love quiet mornings, people are sleeping, the world around me is peaceful. Few things are better than this.

Everything in this world moves so fast, it's easy to get swept up in the tide of business.  I have to be purposeful to find still moments. Taking a cue from my Savior, I often rise early in the morning before my family to spend some time in peaceful solitude, alone with my God.

Mark 1:35 and rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. (ESV)

I have found that if I don't take this time to stop and be still (aka if I choose sleep instead)...I'm often not a fun person to be around, I'm grouchy, I'm quick to snap...I'm not my usual joyful self.  Taking this time helps me face hard times with a little more grace and be fully present for the joyful times.  I crave for, I long for, I need time to be still.

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

I stumbled upon this poem and it made me giggle thinking about my early morning rising...it's not always easy:

A Morning Poem
I woke early one morning,
The earth lay cool and still,
When suddenly a tiny bird,
Perched on my window sill,
He sang a song so lovely,
So carefree and so gay,
That slowly all my troubles,
Began to slip away,
He sang of far of places,
Of laughter and of fun.
I stirred beneath the covers,
Crept slowly out of bed,
Then gently shut the window,
And crushed his little head,
I'm not a morning person.
-Author Unknown

OK, I have to admit my first response was to roar with laughter instead of feeling sad for the little bird...I mean we've all been there, right?  Sleep is SO important to our bodies, it's natural to want to sleep a little later.  We were created to sleep for a reason; however, time for me to be still is often important...plus it gives me a good excuse for a nap later on. haha

I hope you can find some time in your day (maybe it's not early mornings for you) to stop and be still.

Blessings!

No comments: