Saturday

My One Word - Thanksgiving

Ending 2010 I wrote a post about how I'm not going into 2011 with New Years Resolutions, but instead was going to pick one word to define this year. I thought in mid-January I had picked my word.  I thought I had picked the word "Present".  I felt like I needed to focus on being present in each moment, with each person I was spending time with...instead of distracted over last night's conversation, or what someone else who is sending me on a text message...I felt I needed to focus on being fully in the moment with the person I'm with.  This isn't a new goal for me, it is one I've written about and struggled with for years.  I didn't post about picking this word though, because I hadn't settled with it, I wasn't comfortable with it.  I guess I knew that it wasn't "the word."

Today I bought Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts and while reading it my word chose me, my word smacked me in the face. Thanksgiving. I'm not living in the present moment, because I'm not thankful for the present moment.  I'm not content with what I have been given, I'm not choosing joy. This has to change, for I have been given so much.  I have been blessed with amazing family and friends, there is much to be thankful for, and this is where my focus needs to return.  So, Thanksgiving is my word for 2011.  Have you picked your word yet?

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus (1 Thes 5:18, NLT)

And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ (Eph 5:20, NLT)

Blessings!!

No comments: