Thursday

Wedding Anniversaries Spent Alone

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~ Simone Signoret



I'm in the beautiful mountains of Avon, CO.  The weather is crisp and cool making the fireplace in my condo even more inviting.  From my 4th floor balcony I can see the heated swimming pool below. The glow from the lights in the hot water beckon me with the steam wafting off the top of the water.  Many nights since I've arrived I have gazed down to the swimming pool and hot tub with the thought of going down for a soak.  Water soothes me like little else can, warm water surrounded by glorious mountains sounds like pure bliss...and maybe hints at romantic.  And that is why I haven't gone.  My husband couldn't get the time off of work to take our annual anniversary vacation, so I (in my infinite wisdom) decide it would be a good idea to go ahead and go alone.  Not wanting to go and partake in a romantic moment by myself, I stand in my room and gaze at the water from my window...drowning in self pity.  Tonight I look out and see a young couple embracing each other in the pool.  They have the pool to themselves, floating together underneath the evening stars.  I scowl at them from my window, mad for a moment that they get to be caught up in love on my wedding anniversary.  In my head I know it's silly to be upset at them, but in my heart I'm jealous and want that moment to be mine. With a heavy sigh I pick up my book to distract myself and retreat to the chair.  Later I hear roaring laughter coming from the area of the pool.  I look outside and the man is carrying his wife from the pool.  I can't help but giggle.  He sees me in the window and shouts out "WE JUST GOT MARRIED". I smile and nod with a little wave and retreat from the window.  I remember our honeymoon and Jeff carrying me into the ocean, and can't believe it's been 9 years.  It seems time has flown by, yet time has changed us so much.  We aren't the same couple we were then...thank goodness. I cannot wait for him to join me in the mountains, I miss him like crazy.

No comments: