Tuesday

Anniversaries

We live in a country that likes take the time to stop and remember past events.  We tick off anniversaries of past tragedies. Last month was the 12th anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings.  This year will be the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.  Next week will be the 100th anniversary of the Titanic launching out of Belfast.

Sunday was an anniversary for our community.  Sunday, the day Joplin, MO was ravaged by a tornado, was the 3 year anniversary of the tornado that hit the building I work in and went on to cause destruction in the neighboring town of Windsor, CO.  Both tornadoes were a mile wide. Both tornadoes were classed as an EF-4.  Three years ago I counted my blessings that all I lost in the tornado was a car, friends of mine lost everything. We were lucky as only one person lost their life in the Windsor tornado, last count I heard indicated 116 people lost their life in Joplin this weekend.  Watching the horror of the Joplin tornado unfold on the news is devastating and more tornadoes are expected in the region today.  My heart breaks and goes out to them. I'm sure there are many groups rushing aid to Joplin, but I know one way you can help now is through the Red Cross.  The Red Cross also has a Safe and Well list. If you are seeking the status of loved ones, it is a good place to start.

No comments: