Saturday

Why do I bother?

Sometimes I wonder why I even try. I want to stamp my foot and cry out "it's not fair!!" Why don't I get appreciated for this? Why be nice to this person if he/she isn't nice back? Why keep doing the dishes when I turn around to find yet another dish in the sink instead of in the dishwasher?

I had one of those mornings. One of those mornings where I felt like I do all this working and loving and trying to be a blessing to the people I love is all for nothing. Then I had to stop and remind myself that it really isn't all about me after all.

To love we have to be willing...no...we have to joyfully lay down our selfish desires as a sacrifice to those we love. Ephesians says: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (5:1-2)

God sacrificed his throne to become a man and die a horrible death on a cross in order to show his love for us. Is laying my selfish desires really to much to ask to show my love? So I will continue to love the best I can; I will continue to serve; I will continue to extend grace even when it is not extended to me....and I will put that dish in the dishwasher with a smile.

Blessings!

No comments: